Pages

▼

Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Libby Audiobook: The Dalai Lama's Cat, and the Art of Purring, David Michie


Looking at the reviews, I am definitely in the minority with this one.

The content was sweet, and I understood and appreciated what the book was trying to do, but I just didn't particularly enjoy it.

My biggest issue was actually with the audiobook. The story is told from the perspective of a female cat, so I found the decision to have a man narrate it rather odd. At first I assumed perhaps the author was narrating it himself, which would have made more sense to me, but that wasn't the case.

The narrator was good, so this isn't a criticism of his performance. Because the story is told in the first person by a female cat, I found myself wishing the audiobook had used a female narrator. For me, it would simply have suited the character better.

Towards the end, I also started getting confused by all the different names and found myself becoming more irritated than engaged.

Clearly this book has connected with a lot of readers, but unfortunately it just wasn't quite for me.

3/5 ⭐⭐⭐

 

No comments:

Post a Comment