Friday 10 October 2014

Restaurant - Casareccio, Hout Bay

I have often run past this restaurant, and have heard that it is a wonderful spot in Hout Bay.  After a long morning helping out with the Chappies Challenge, we went to have breakfast here.

FOOD - Frittata - open Italian omelette. It was fairly average, nothing really wow. As it was breakfast, we pretty much stuck to the breakfast menu, but as far as I know it is one of the Master Chef judge's favourite places for pizza, and in one week, from two different people randomly told me about their delicious Portuguese steak. So I would like to go back and try it out at dinner time.

DRINKS - orange juice - not freshly squeezed.

SERVICE - such an incredibly friendly and on the ball server.; made up for the average food.

AMBIANCE - It is OK, it is an old restaurant with an old feel to it; I am not the biggest fan of table cloths. Will be interested to see what it is like at night.

VALUE FOR MONEY - very affordable. R55 for my frittata

RECOMMENDABLE - I doubt I'll go back for breakfast, am keen to try it out at supper time. 6/10

28 October 2014 - since my last visit, I had been very keen to try out the highly recommendable Portuguese steak. So on Sunday, Mark and I meandered down there for lunch. Initially we sat out side because it was a gorgeously hot day, but then it got too hot, so opted to move inside. As pity about the dirty table cloth  and dead fly in the window - the whole place needs a spruce up; but I think the locals / loyal patrons look past this, and are more forgiving.

FOOD - At last - I had an opportunity to order their Portuguese steak. First impressions? TOO MUCH GARLIC! As it is I am not a fan of garlic, but don't mind reasonable amounts of it, the huge amount caused the sauce to be bitter.The meat was cooked amazingly - as soft as butter. The chips were disappointing oven chips. All in all I was disappointed, especially at R130 for the dish. Mark opted for their lasagna,which at R85 was quite reasonable; it was a big potion with many layers of lasagna pasta, he said that the taste got a bit boring half way through and gave it a 6/10.. 

DRINKS - I opted for a chocolate milkshake and Mark 'n lime one - lovely large portions; mine was fairly standard, nothing spectacular. Mark really enjoyed his and said that it was very refreshing and cut through the 'cheesiness' of his lasagna.

SERVICE - Good service - looks like a great team that works here.
AMBIANCE - Still not a fan especially with the dirty table cloth.

VALUE FOR MONEY - reasonable R130 - Portuguese steak | R85 for the lasagna | R25 for the milkshakes.

RECOMMENDABLE - I doubt I'll go back. 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment