Wednesday 24 July 2024

Libby Audiobook: The Marriage Act, John Marrs


I have been a raving fan of John Marrs, since reading The One. I think that I have read most of his books now. 

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book of his as much as his other books :/ 

What's quite weird is that I am currently also reading 1984, and there were definite 'Big Brother is watching you,' vibes with this book. The synchronicity is intriguing. 

The positive: He is so good at ending each chapter on a cliffhanger. 

The story is set in the future, what is quite cool is that there are some minor references made to The One, and DNA matching is still used. People are now encouraged by government to get married; homes are fitted with gadgets to monitor conversations and if issues are picked up, counsellors are deployed. 

There are five central characters, but unlike The One, where there were also quite a few characters that I could keep track of, I got confused between Roxy and Corinne's characters. It all felt a bit messy. It feels like he was under pressure to bring out another book and rushed it. 

Not my favourite book, but still love his work. 

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment