Friday, 21 August 2026

Kindle: The God of the Woods, Liz Moore

 


I honestly don't understand the hype around this one.

Personally, I found The God of the Woods an absolute slog to read. In fact, I think it might contain almost every ingredient of my worst-nightmare book.

There are so many characters. Usually, even with a large cast, I eventually get to grips with who's who. Not this time. I spent far too much of the book trying to remember names and work out how everyone fitted together.

Then there are the multiple timelines, constantly jumping backwards and forwards. Add to that the fact that it's written in the present tense, which I know is very much a personal preference, but I really don't enjoy it.

And then... the em dashes. SO. MANY. EM DASHES. There were so many that I actually stopped reading at one point and asked Google whether the book had been written by AI. 😂 Apparently not. The author is an English professor, so I decided to persevere.

So, persevere I did, largely because all the glowing reviews had me convinced there must surely be a massive, delicious twist waiting for me that would make the whole slog worthwhile.

There is a twist. Unfortunately, by the time I got there, I was so over the book and so disconnected from the characters that I honestly couldn't bring myself to care.

Clearly I am in the minority given how highly rated this book is, but it just wasn't for me.

A generous 2/5 ⭐⭐. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment