Friday 1 August 2014

Restaurant - Café 41, Brooklyn Pretoria

31 July 2014 - After the wonderful scone experience on Sunday at Rhodes Memorial, I decided to indulge myself with another after a very early morning flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg.

My meetings were in Pretoria, so decided to go somewhere familiar before the days meetings started. 

FOOD - their are two warm scones in the portion - good start.  I was clearly spoilt with Sunday's scone, so my expectations were high. The serving comes with one portion of apricot jam (one of those plastic containers and mine had seen better days). A portion of butter and a huge portion of Orly whip cream (disappointing).  With extreme rationing skills, the jam and butter (whoever wants to ration your scone condiments anyway...? and why should you) the small portions were not enough for both scones. When I got a waiter's attention and requested more jam, he brought me marmalade. I don't mind marmalade on toast, but not a scone. So by the time I got more jam and butter the scone had gone cold and dried up. 

DRINKS - lovely beautiful pot of Earl Grey tea. Love the way the tea is presented. 

SERVICE - waiters waiters everywhere but not one to be around. On the up side, was seated fairly quickly but there are a myriad of waiters and yet the service was quite slow. Saw two managers if not more but no one bothered to greet anyone. 

VALUE FOR MONEY - Not bad, quite reasonable; scones, R39.50 and the tea R16.40


RECOMMENDABLE - if you are specifically in the Groenkloof Centre your choices are limited, sadly I think they have lost their edge. 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment