Monday 12 December 2022

Audiobook: Four Thousand Weeks, Oliver Burkeman

Four thousand weeks is the average number of weeks we get (if we take 75 to be the average age that people live to).

My take home from this book is that there are a lot of productivity programs out there, but the long and the short of it is, that regardless of how productive you want to be, there isn’t really a point to it. The main aim is to enjoy the here and now. Projects that you work on will always take longer than anticipated regardless of how well you try and plan them.

Small increments of work each day gets much more done than trying to do it all in once.

People who take breaks at the same time, e.g. over weekends / holidays, are a lot less stressed, because you don’t feel guilty or stressed about not being at work while others work. I think that is why Christmas / December is just such a magical time in South Africa.  

I didn't enjoy the book as much as I would have liked to. I found the narrator (author)'s voice a bit grating the more tired /irritable I was.

3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment