Thursday 1 January 2015

Race: Memorial Race, 8km Mouille Point

 
Last race for the year - the Memorial 8km race at Mouille Point. I'm not too sure how to feel about it - on the one hand it is quite nice to have a moment's silence for, and remember all the runners that have passed on over the past two years - their names get read out just before the race starts. On the other hand, it's worrying how many there are and not too sure that it is the greatest advert for running.
 
There are a myriad of excuses why this wasn't my best race (extremely hot! I had taken the bus to avoid year-end traffic through Camps Bay as I was not too sure about where to get off, so misjudged the stop and had to walk quite a distance to the start in the blistering heat and did not rehydrate sufficiently - note to self for next year, Ellerslie stop is a lot closer. I also ran in my new Puma's 500FAAS v2.0 - lovely and comfortable (also love the bright colour and there is a strip on the edge that glows in the dark!), but did start burning the soles of my feet close to the end (the shoes itself, not the glowing part). Really am not a fan of the route, I don't enjoy flat races, give me hills any day).
 
I completed the kms in 54 minutes, which I suppose it not too bad taking into consideration that I walked A LOT! The first 1500 finishers received a commemorative glass, luckily I made it. Everyone also received an aQuelle 500ml sparking flavoured water - very refreshing! 
All in all it has been a wonderful running year, about 220kms of race running in total - super stoked. I look forward to betting my times and increased running for 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment